This site, referred to by family and friends as the
“Teahouse” Field, actually contains the ruins of the
Japanese Commissioner’s Office building which was
part of the Pan Pacific International Exposition held
in San Francisco in 1915. After the close of the Expo,
Clara Patterson Layson had the building disassembled
and relocated to this site. She then contracted
Julia Morgan to remodel the building into a
residence. When Clara died on May 29, 1917 work
stopped and the residence was never completed.
On December 8, 1941, fire burned the building.
Clara Patterson Layson
Photo courtesy of the
Patterson House Collection
Photo courtesy of Society of California Pioneers