THE PATTERSON HOUSE
Originally a simple two bedroom, two story
farmhouse built on 1857, this house has grown
and changed over time. It was to this home that
49er-turned-farmer George Patterson brought
his bride, Clara in 1877.
In 1889, George and Clara had the house
remodeled into a grand Victorian home.
This addition, by San Francisco architect
Samuel Newsom, added an entry, family
and guest parlors, and three bedrooms.
In 1903, Clara would give
the home to her oldest son
Henry. In 1915, Henry and
his wife Sara enclosed a
side porch and balcony and
replaced the original kitchen
with a modern one.
Oil Painting by Roger Fällman,
Patterson House Collection
The 1889 addition to the original
farmhouse is a spectacular
example of the Queen Anne style
of architecture popular in the late