THE WILLIAM PATTERSON HOUSE
On this site in May of 1904, William Donald Patterson
began construction of his 13-room Edwardian home.
Born on the 4th day of December 1880, he was the
second son of George and Clara Patterson. His elder
brother Henry inherited the Patterson mansion after
their father’s death in 1895. His mother, Clara then
gave William $12,000 to construct his own home in
the Ardenwood Estate. William and his wife, May Bird,
lived in this home until 1961, during which time they
had three sons.
On November 28, 1961, William died. His will
stipulated that if none of his sons wanted to live in the
house, it was to be destroyed. After some months of
deliberation, his sons, now living elsewhere with their
families, decided to honor the will. The William
Patterson home was burned down by the local fire
department in February of 1962.
Photo courtesy of Paul West
Photo courtesy of Bruce Patterson