Fort Ross

Bicentennial Brochure

brochure Fort Ross - Bicentennial Brochure
Fort Ross 1812 Bicentennial 2012 State Historic Park The mission of Fort Ross 2012 is to commemorate the 200 years of natural, cultural and human history of Fort Ross (known today as Fort Ross State Historic Park), increase public interest and preserve the rich and vital legacy for future generations through a series of special events featuring the diverse influences of many people, including Kashaya and Coast Miwok Indians, Russians, Native Alaskans, Spaniards, Mexicans and Americans. (707) 847-3286 www.parks.ca.gov Fort Ross 2012 is a joint project of California State Parks, the Renova Fort Ross Foundation and the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Fort Ross Conservancy, who together promote the historical and educational benefits of Fort Ross and the surrounding areas. Задача программы «Форт Росс - 2012» – отметить 200-летие со дня основания Форта Росс (исторического парка штата Калифорния), привлечь более широкое внимание к его богатому наследию, отражающему влияние культур и традиций разных народов, в том числе индейцев кашайя и береговых мивок, русских, алеутов, испанцев, мексиканцев, американцев и сохранить его для будущих поколений. A walking tour of the compound at Fort Ross State Historic Park Крепость Росс путеводитель he history of Fort Ross—a National Historic Landmark—features a unique blend of diverse cultural groups. These groups include Russians, Kashaya Pomo, Coast Miwok and Southern Pomo Indians, Aleutian and Kodiak Islanders, and Creoles—the children of Russian men and Native North American women. Settlement Ross, derived from the word for Russia (Rossiia), was established by the RussianAmerican Company. This commercial hunting and trading company had been chartered by Emperor Paul I in 1799. The Company controlled all Russian exploration, trade, and settlement in North America, with permanent outposts in the Kurile Islands, the Aleutian Islands, Alaska, and a brief settlement in Hawaii. Alexander Andreyevich Baranov, the Company’s chief manager, supervised the entire North Pacific area. Baranov directed his chief deputy, Ivan Alexandrovich Kuskov, to establish a colony in California to find food for Alaska and to hunt fur-bearing sea otters. Kuskov arrived in California in 1812 with a party of 25 Russians and 80 native Alaskans from Kodiak and the Aleutian Islands. Using Alaskan laborers, Kuskov used local trees to construct the fort at Ross in May of 1812. Ivan Kuskov First manager of Fort Ross История национального исторического памятника Форт Росс отражает уникальный сплав культур разных народов: русских, индейцев кашайя помо и южной группы помо, береговых мивок, жителей Алеутских островов и Кадьяка, «креолов» (детей коренных американок – алеуток и индеанок – и русских). Cеление Росс (от «Россия») было основано Российско-Американской компанией. Эта торговопромышленная компания была утверждена в 1799 г. указом императора Павла I. Компания имела монополию на пушной промысел, торговлю и колонизацию Северной Америки. Постоянные фактории (промысловые поселения) были основаны на Курильских, Алеутских островах, на Аляске и – кратковременно – на Гавайях. Александр Андреевич Баранов, главный правитель всех русских северных тихоокеанских поселений, отправил своего заместителя Ивана Александровича Кускова в Калифорнию для основания колонии с целью обеспечения провизией Аляски и охоты на морскую выдру. В 1812 года Кусков прибыл в Калифорнию с 25 россиянами и 80 коренными жителями Аляски с Кадьяка и Алеутских островов (русские называли их «алеутами») и c помощью алеутов в мае 1812 года из древесины растущих поблизости деревьев начал строительство крепости Росс. Иван Кусков первый правитель Форта Росс Alexander Rotchev Last manager of Fort Ross Александр Ротчев последний правитель Форта Росс KASHAYA POMO—THE FIRST people OUTSIDE THE MAIN GATE NATIVE ALASKAN VILLAGE SITE The Russian-American Company brought Native Alaskans to the settlement to hunt sea mammals and provide a workforce for the colony. The Native Alaskan Village dwelling site, located outside the main gate, was the primary residential area for single Native Alaskan men and families, as well as interethnic households of Native Alaskan men and local Native Californian women. The village was situated on the marine terrace on the ocean side of the fort compound. The Alaska natives brought their qayaqs—swift, maneuverable kayaks. They hunted the valuable sea otter and other marine mammals along the California coast. bhe СТЕН КРЕПОСТИ МЕСТОНАХОЖДЕНИЕ ПОСЕЛЕНИЯ АЛЕУТОВ Российско-Американская компания привезла сюда коренных жителей Аляски («алеутов») для добычи морских млекопитающих и в качестве рабочей силы. Поселение алеутов находилось сразу у главного входа в крепость, на прибрежной террасе у океана; здесь жили и холостяки, и семьи; в том числе смешанные семьи мужчин-алеутов и местных калифорнийских женщин. Алеуты привезли с собой каяки (байдарки) – лёгкие маневренные лодки, которые использовались для добычи ценной морской выдры у побережья Калифорнии. The Kashaya Pomo lived in this area when the Russians arrived. A spiritual, peace-loving people, the Kashaya moved their homes from the ridges in the winter to the ocean shore in the summer, hunting and gathering food such as abalone, mussel, fish and sea plants. Sea salt was harvested for domestic use and trade. The Kashaya created a wide variety of tools, utensils, baskets, and objects of personal adornment that reflected a high degree of technical knowledge, design and artistic ingenuity. Their basketry, a ritual art, has achieved extraordinary respect. The Kashaya’s first encounter with Europeans may have been with the Russians. КАШАЙЯ ПОМО – ПЕРВЫЕ ЖИТЕЛИ ЭТИХ МЕСТ До прибытия русских в этих местах жили кашайя помо. Миролюбивый народ с богатыми духовными традициями из зимних жилищ на горных хребтах перемещался летом на побережье, где кашайя занимались охотой, собирательством, рыболовством, заготовкой морепродуктов (моллюсков абалоне, мидий, водорослей), морской соли (и для своих нужд, и для обмена). Кашайя делали разнообразные инcтрументы, предметы домашнего обихода, демонстрирующие высокий уровень технических знаний, чувство стиля и оригинальность художественного подхода. Созданные ими плетёные корзины, ритуальные предметы и украшения получили высочайшую оценку. Взаимодействие с россиянами было первым опытом общения народа кашайя с европейцами. 1 STOCKADE WALLS The original stockade walls and sally ports deteriorated rapidly. They were reconstructed several times on a piecemeal basis between 1929 and 1997. After Highway One was rerouted to bypass the Fort in 1972, the stockade was finally re-enclosed for the first time since the 1800s. The original walls of the fort were each approximately 1,204 feet long and 14 feet high. The walls were held together by a complex system of mortised joints locked by wooden pins. The top truss and sills were locked into main posts, spaced about 12 feet apart and buried 6 feet below the ground. СТЕНЫ КРЕПОСТИ Первоначально воздвигнутые стены крепости и входные ворота очень быстро пришли в негодность. С 1929 по 1997 гг. они реконструировались по частям несколько раз. После того как в 1972 г. скоростное шоссе номер один было перенесено с территории форта, cтены крепости снова сомкнулись, как это было в 1800-е годы. Cтены крепости – каждая примерно 1204 фута (367м) длиной и 14 футов (4,5м) высотой – были построены c использованием сложной системы соединения деревянными шипами. Верхняя часть стен и перекладины соединены с опорными столбами, расположенными с промежутками 12 футов (3м 66см) и уходящими в землю на 6 футов (1м 80см). 2 3 BLOCKHOUSEs The Northwest (sevensided) and Southeast (eight-sided) blockhouses were originally built between 1812 and 1817. The blockhouses were watchtowers for sentries with muskets and cannons, who protected all sides of the fort stockade from potential threats. Fortunately, the protective value of the fort never needed testing. Each blockhouse was topped by a flagstaff. Cannons and flags were used to signal colonists in case of attack, to provide a navigational aid for ships approaching Ross, and to welcome visiting dignitaries. БЛОКГАУЗЫ (БАШНИ) Северо-западная (семиугольная) и юго-восточная (восьмиугольная) башни были построены между 1812 и 1817 гг. Они служили дозорными башнями для часовых с мушкетами и пушками, охраняющими крепость от потенциальных опасностей. К счастью, испытывать прочность крепости не было необходимости. Каждая башня завершалась флагштоком. Пушки и флаги предназначались для предупреждения о грозящей опасности и также выполняли функцию навигационных средств для помощи кораблям, подходящим к Форту Росс, и для приветствия важных гостей. 4 BARRACKS The original building was built before 1817 as the site of company workshops. On the 1817 map it was referred to as “house of planks containing a foundry and workroom for a coppersmith.” 5 ROTCHEV HOUSE The only original Russian-built structure at Fort Ross, the Rotchev House was built about 1836 to serve as the home of Alexander Rotchev, his wife Elena, and their children. The Russian-American Company’s last Fort Ross manager lived in this home until July of 1841. The commander’s house, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is one of only four surviving buildings built during the RussianAmerican colonial period; the other three existing Russian buildings are in Alaska. КАЗАРМЫ, ИЛИ «ДОМ ДЛЯ СЛУЖИТЕЛЕЙ» Здание построенное до 1817 года для мастерских, на ситуационном плане 1817 года описывалось как «дом из досок, содержащий в себе литейную и мастерскую для медника». ДОМ РОТЧЕВА В доме (единственной сохранившейся в Форте Росс русской постройке), построенном примерно в 1836 г., до июля 1841 года c женой Еленой и детьми жил последний правитель Форта Росс Александр Ротчев. «Дом правителя» внесён в «Национальный реестр исторических памятников». Это одно из четырёх сохранившихся зданий, построенных в период российской колонизации Америки (три других «русских» здания находятся на Аляске). 6 Russian orchard On the hill to the north just below the tree line, you can see the Russian orchard. The original Russian orchard encompassed two to three acres and contained approximately 260 fruit trees at its peak. РУССКИЙ САД На взгорье к северу от форта расположен «русский сад». Заложенный русскими сад первоначально занимал площадь в два или три акра (около гектара), в нём было примерно 260 фруктовых деревьев. 7 WAREHOUSE or MAGAZIN The recently reconstructed two-story Russian-American Company magazin (sklad) functioned both as company store and as warehouse. Supplies for the Company’s operations were documented, assessed and stored for distribution. Goods stored in the warehouse reflected extensive Russian trade with Spanish and later Mexican Californians, as well as Britain, the United States, Europe and China. While trade with the Russians was forbidden by their rulers in Madrid, the Spanish colonists found ways to get around the rules; farm implements and boats were also sold and traded to the Spanish. «МАГАЗИН» (CКЛАД) В недавно реконструированном двухэтажном складе («магазин», или «магазейн» – в документах начала 19 вв.) Российско-Американской компании хранились провизия, необходимые запасы для нужд компании и товары. Хранившиеся в складе предметы отражают характер торговли россиян с испанцами и позже – с мексиканцами, британцами, представителями Соединённых Штатов, Европы и Китая. Несмотря на официальный запрет Мадрида на торговлю с русскими, испанские колонисты умели обойти его: помимо завозимых товаров, торговый обмен с испанцами включал и суда, и сельскохозяйственный инвентарь. 8 WELL Archaeological excavations indicate that the original well cribbing structure was 34 feet deep. Despite a nearby creek, placing a well inside the fort compound offered security in case of attack. The Settlement Ross site was chosen because of the proximity of water. The site also featured adjoining timber for construction and a flat coastal terrace ideal for growing crops. КОЛОДЕЦ Археологические раскопки показали, что первоначальный сруб колодца был глубиной 34 фута (чуть более 10 метров). Несмотря на то, что рядом находился ручей, колодец был выкопан на случай осады крепости. Место для cеления Росс было выбрано из-за близости к источникам воды и строевого леса, прибрежная терраса идеально подходила для земледелия. 9 KUSKOV HOUSE The Kuskov House is the reconstructed residence of Ivan Alexandrovich Kuskov, founder and first manager of Ross. Kuskov named settlement Ross and managed it from 1812 to 1821. The living quarters were upstairs above an armory. Among the later visitors to Ross was naturalist and artist Ilya Gavrilovich Voznesenskii. A trained scientist and competent graphic artist, Voznesenskii was sent by the Imperial Academy of Sciences to explore and investigate Russian America. Upstairs in the northeast corner of Kuskov House is called the Voznesenskii Room. ДОМ КУСКОВА Дом Кускова – реконструированный жилой дом Ивана Александровича Кускова, основателя и первого правителя Форта Росс. Именно Кусков назвал селение «Росс» и управлял им с 1812 до 1821 года. Жилые помещения размещались наверху, над арсеналом. Среди живших в Форте Росс в последние годы его существования был натуралист и художник Иван Гаврилович Вознесенский. Учёный-исследователь и профессиональный художник-график, Вознесенский прибыл по заданию Императорской академии наук для изучения Русской Америки. На втором этаже дома Кускова, в северо - восточном углу, находится так называемый «кабинет Вознесенского». 10 CHAPEL The chapel, originally built in the mid-1820s, was the first Russian Orthodox structure in North America outside of Alaska. The chapel was partially destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. The bell is inscribed in Church Slavonic: “Heavenly King, receive all who glorify Him.” The Russian Orthodox cross on the chapel cupola has a short bar on the top representing a sign nailed to the cross: “Jesus of Nazareth—King of the Jews;” the middle bar represents Christ’s crucifixion; the angled bottom bar points both toward heaven and downward (signifying the disposition of the two thieves flanking Christ when he was nailed on the cross). In 1925, the chapel began to be used for Orthodox religious services; it continues to house such services. ЧАСОВНЯ Часовня, построенная в середине 1820-х, была единственным церковным зданием русской православной церкви в Америке за пределами Аляски. Она была частично разрушена во время землетрясения 1906 года. На колоколе надпись на старославянском: «Царю небесный приими всякаго человека славящего тебя». Русский православный крест на часовне: на короткой верхней перекладине (символизирующей табличку, прибитую к распятию) надпись «IНЦИ», означающая: «Иисус Назарянин, царь Иудейский»; средняя перекладина креста означает распятие Христа; концы нижней перекладины, прибитой наискосок, указывают на небеса и ад: места пребывания двух разбойников, находивщихся по обе cтороны от Христа во время его распятия. C 1925 году в часовне проводятся православные службы. 12 SANDY COVE Sandy Cove lies below the fort. Russian and Native Alaskan settlers frequently transported supplies between Sandy Cove and Port Rumiantsev, the principal port of the settlement 19 miles to the south at what is now called Bodega Bay. In the cove area below the bluffs, the Russian-American Company constructed a shipbuilding shop and shipways. Four Company ships—three brigs and a schooner—were the first built on the California coast. 11 THE RUSSIAN CEMETERY Across the gulch east of the Fort, Russian Orthodox crosses mark the site of the settlement’s cemetery. More than 150 people were buried in the cemetery during the RussianAmerican Company’s 30-year settlement here. The names of those interred in specific graves are unknown. Their remains have been re-interred and given last rites by Russian Orthodox priests. Beads, buttons, cloth fragments, crosses and religious medals found during the cemetery-restoration project will help researchers better understand the Russian settlement’s culture. РУССКОЕ КЛАДБИЩЕ К востоку от форта, через овраг, видны православные кресты на русском кладбище. За 30 лет пребывания здесь Российско-Американской компании на нём похоронено более 150 человек. Неизвестно, кто конкретно похоронен в каждой могиле. Останки были перезахоронены с соблюдением ритуалов русской православной церкви, выполненных православными священниками. Пуговицы, бусы, фрагменты тканей, кресты и медальоны, найденные во время работ по реконструкции кладбища, помогают точнее понять особенности русского поселения. ПЕСЧАНАЯ БУХТА Песчаная бухта находится ниже форта. Русские и алеуты часто перевозили товары и провизию между Песчаной бухтой и заливом Румянцева (ныне – залив Бодега) – главным для Форта Росс портом, расположенным в 19 милях ( 30 км) к югу. В бухте находились верфь и стапеля. Четыре корабля – три брига и шхуна – построенные здесь Компанией, были первыми кораблями, построенными в Калифорнии. 3 10 9 6 7 To the Russian Orchard and Visitor Center К русскому саду и информационновыставочному центру CANNONS The four cannons now in the center of the fort compound are contemporary reproductions; only two can be fired. Each 5½ inch howitzer is mounted on a field carriage. ПУШКИ Четыре пушки, расположенные в центре крепости, – копии, сделанные в 20 веке, только две из них действующие. 140 мм гаубицы установлены на полевых лафетах. N 8 E 5 W To the Russian Cemetery and Sandy Cove S К русскому кладбищу и Песчаной бухте 4 1 11 12 2

also available

National Parks
USFS NW