Interpretive Panels

Leal Tank House

brochure Interpretive Panels - Leal Tank House

Leal Tank House Interpretive Panel at Ardenwood Historic Farm, part of East Bay Regional Park District. Published by East Bay Regional Park District.

LEAL TANK HOUSE Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped from a 100 foot-deep well. It was the only source of water for the Leal home and livestock for 57 years. The tank house was reconstructed at Ardenwood in 2004 by community volunteers from local Rotary Clubs and spearheaded by members of Mission San Jose Rotary. It is dedicated to the memory of Charles “Skip” Domville who initiated this project as part of his efforts to preserve local history. A tank house similar to this one, once supplied all the water for the Patterson House, gardens and other nearby buildings. Bernie Leal (grandson of Julia and Joseph) donated the tank house to the city of Fremont. Tank house Julia Perry Leal and Joseph Silviera Leal wedding photo, 1899. The tank house on Leal Ranch. All photos courtesy of Bernie Leal

also available

National Parks
USFS NW