Shasta

State Historic Park - California

The site of the town is now a California State Historic Park called Shasta State Historic Park, containing many of the original 19th century brick buildings, partially restored. Shasta is now a town with the ruins of the gold mining town, a post office, a church, an elementary school, the oldest Masonic lodge in California, and a store.

maps

Map of the East Keswick Trail System (on-Motorized) south of Shasta Lake in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).Keswick - Trails Map

Map of the East Keswick Trail System (on-Motorized) south of Shasta Lake in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Map of the Rock Creek - Middle Creek Trail System south of Keswick in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).Rock Creek / Middle Creek - Trails Map

Map of the Rock Creek - Middle Creek Trail System south of Keswick in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Recreation Map of Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve - Recreation Map

Recreation Map of Horsetown-Clear Creek Preserve in California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Map of the Nobles Emigrant Trail section, part of the California National Historic Trail (NHT), located outside of Susanville, California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).Nobles Emigrant Trail - Trail Map

Map of the Nobles Emigrant Trail section, part of the California National Historic Trail (NHT), located outside of Susanville, California. Published by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

Official Visitor Map of Whiskeytown National Recreation Area (NRA) in California. Published by the National Park Service (NPS).Whiskeytown - Visitor Map

Official Visitor Map of Whiskeytown National Recreation Area (NRA) in California. Published by the National Park Service (NPS).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=456 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasta,_California The site of the town is now a California State Historic Park called Shasta State Historic Park, containing many of the original 19th century brick buildings, partially restored. Shasta is now a town with the ruins of the gold mining town, a post office, a church, an elementary school, the oldest Masonic lodge in California, and a store.
Our Mission Shasta State Historic Park The mission of California State Parks is to provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high-quality outdoor recreation. At the hub of wagon travel, in 1849 this gold mining area became Reading Springs, the commercial center of northern California. California State Parks supports equal access. Prior to arrival, visitors with disabilities who need assistance should contact the park at (530) 243-8194. If you need this publication in an alternate format, contact interp@parks.ca.gov. CALIFORNIA STATE PARKS P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001 For information call: (800) 777-0369 (916) 653-6995, outside the U.S. 711, TTY relay service www.parks.ca.gov State Novarese Historic Park ParkShasta Name 14/15 Bd 90% Highway 299,Address 6 miles12/15 west of Redding P.O.City, BoxCA 2430 (Mail) ##### Shasta, CA 96087 • (530) 243-8194 (###) ###-#### © 2002 California State Parks (Rev. 2017) The town was renamed Shasta in 1850. T he “Queen City of the Northern Mines,” Shasta State Historic Park was once the picturesque gold mining town of Shasta. In its heyday, the town was the center of commerce and social activity for northern California. To walk the cemeteries, sites, and ruins is to look back in time at the daily lives of the merchants, families, and miners who once lived and worked here. Shasta is located in the foothills of the Klamath Range, six miles west of Redding on Highway 299. Summer and fall can be dry and hot, reaching 100 degrees. Though snowfall is not uncommon, winter temperatures generally range from 30 to 50 degrees. Spring is usually cool and rainy. SHASTA In 1848, after a visit to the site of James Marshall’s gold discovery at Coloma, Major Pierson B. Reading found gold in nearby Clear Creek. The world caught gold Pierson B. Reading fever as word of the strikes spread. Besides the attraction of gold, the area was rich in natural resources. By 1849 the community of tents and leantos was named Reading Springs. At the hub of wagon travel, the area became the commercial center of northern California. Temporary residences gave way to houses, stores, hotels, barbershops, and saloons. The busy town was renamed Shasta in 1850, and by 1852 more than $2.5 million in gold had passed through the town. In December 1852, fire destroyed much of the town. The residents quickly rebuilt, but six months later another fire destroyed all 70 businesses on Main Street. Wary merchants rebuilt with fireproof brick walls and iron shutters. Shasta then had the longest row of brick buildings north of San Francisco. Gold claims were depleted by the late 1860s. Shasta’s gradual decline was hastened when its lucrative stagecoach and freight business moved away. The new Central Pacific Railroad bypassed Shasta, placing its terminal in nearby Redding. Merchants abandoned or relocated their businesses, and in 1888, after three decades at Shasta, the county seat moved to Redding. Shasta’s vacant buildings quickly fell into disrepair. PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION Several groups and individuals recognized the significant historical value of the town’s “boom to bust” story and decided to preserve the community. The care and concern of the Native Sons of the Golden West, the Shasta Historical Society, and Mae Helene Bacon Boggs Town of Shasta, ca. 1880 sparked a movement in the 1920s to save and restore the remaining buildings. Ms. Boggs had moved from Missouri to Shasta as a child to be cared for by her uncle, Williamson Lyncoya Smith. Considering Shasta her hometown, she led the movement by purchasing land and structures and donating her valuable and extensive art collection. The California State Parks Commission acquired additional properties in 1937, and in 1950 the Courthouse Museum opened. Courthouse Museum Interior of Litsch Store SHASTA TODAY Stroll among the sites of Shasta, and let your imagination reflect on this once-bustling town. Today’s ruins were businesses that served the area’s townspeople. Walking trails pass by the 1920s and 1930s schoolhouses, the brewery, and spring houses once used as natural refrigerators. Many of the trees planted by Shasta’s pioneers continue to bear nuts and fruit. Tour the Pioneer Union Cemetery and the Catholic Cemetery, or enjoy a picnic under the trees. Inside the Pioneer Barn, a restored stagecoach invites your attention, and mining and farm equipment are on display. Grounds and trails are open between sunrise and sunset. Blacksmith shop THE COURTHOUSE MUSEUM The Courthouse, dating from 1855, has been restored to its 1861 appearance. It houses the visitor center and the museum, as well as the gathered works of outstanding California artists. The collection, consisting of 98 paintings by 71 artists from many ethnic backgrounds, was donated by
Nuestra Misión Parque Estatal Histórico Shasta La misión de California State Parks es proporcionar apoyo para la salud, la inspiración y la educación de los ciudadanos de California al ayudar a preservar la extraordinaria diversidad biológica del estado, proteger sus más valiosos recursos naturales y culturales, y crear oportunidades para la recreación al aire libre de alta calidad. Como centro de viaje en vagón, en 1849 esta área de minería de oro se convirtió en Reading Springs, el centro California State Parks apoya la igualdad de acceso. Antes de llegar, los visitantes con discapacidades que necesiten asistencia deben comunicarse con el parque llamando al (530) 243-8194. Si necesita esta publicación en un formato alternativo, comuníquese con interp@parks.ca.gov. CALIFORNIA STATE PARKS P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001 Para obtener más información, llame al: (800) 777-0369 o (916) 653-6995, fuera de los EE. UU. o 711, servicio de teléfono de texto. www.parks.ca.gov State Novarese Historic Park ParkShasta Name 14/15 Bd 90% Highway 299,Address 6 miles12/15 west of Redding P.O.City, BoxCA 2430 (Mail) ##### Shasta, CA 96087 • (530) 243-8194 (###) ###-#### © 2002 California State Parks (Rev. 2017) comercial del norte de California. El pueblo se renombró Shasta en 1850. L a “Ciudad reina de las minas del norte”, parque histórico estatal Shasta alguna vez fue el pintoresco pueblo de minería de oro de Shasta. En su apogeo, el pueblo fue el centro de comercio y actividad social del norte de California. Caminar por los cementerios, lugares y ruinas es viajar al pasado, a las vidas diarias de comerciantes, familias y mineros que vivieron allí alguna vez y que allí trabajaron. Shasta está ubicada en las laderas del Klamath Range, seis millas al oeste de Redding en la autopista 299. El verano y el otoño pueden ser calientes y secos, y alcanzar los 100 grados. Aunque la nevada no es algo extraño, las temperaturas en invierno generalmente van de 30 a 50 grados. La primavera usualmente es fresca y lluviosa. SHASTA En 1848, luego de la visita de James Marshall al sitio, quien descubrió el oro en Pierson B. Reading Coloma, el comandante Pierson B. Reading encontró oro en el muy cercano Clear Creek. El mundo contrajo la fiebre del oro cuando se corrió la voz. Además de la atracción del oro, el área era rica en recursos naturales. Para 1849, la comunidad de tiendas y cobertizos se llamó Reading Springs. Como centro de viaje en vagón, el área se convirtió en el centro comercial del norte de California. Las residencias temporales dieron pie a casas, tiendas, hoteles, barberías y tabernas. El pueblo concurrido se renombró Shasta en 1850, y para 1852, más de 2.5 millones de dólares en oro habían pasado por la ciudad. En diciembre de 1852, un incendio destruyó la mayor parte de la ciudad. Los residentes la reconstruyeron rápidamente, pero seis meses después otro incendio destruyó los 70 negocios de la Calle Principal. Los comerciantes precavidos reconstruyeron con ladrillos a prueba de fuego y puertas de hierro. Shasta luego tuvo la fila de edificios de ladrillos más larga al norte de San Francisco. Las concesiones de oro se agotaron a finales de la década de los años sesenta del siglo XIX. El descenso gradual de Shasta se apresuró cuando su diligencia lucrativa y el negocio de transporte se mudaron. El nuevo ferrocarril Central Pacific rodeaba Shasta, con su terminal cerca de Redding. Los comerciantes abandonaron o reubicaron sus negocios y en 1888, luego de tres décadas en Shasta, el centro administrativo se mudó a Redding. Los edificios vacíos de Shasta rápidamente cayeron en el abandono. PRESERVACIÓN Y RESTAURACIÓN Muchos grupos e individuos reconocieron el valor histórico significativo de la historia de “auge y caída” del pueblo y decidieron Pueblo de Shasta, ca. 1880 preservar la comunidad. El cuidado y preocupación de los Hijos Nativos del Dorado Oeste (Native Sons of the Golden West), la Sociedad Histórica de Shasta (Shasta Historical Society) y Mae Helene Bacon Boggs iniciaron un movimiento en 1920 para salvar y restaurar los edificios que quedaban. La señora Boggs se había mudado de Missouri a Shasta de niña para que la cuidara su tío, Williamson Lyncoya Smith. Ya que consideraba Shasta como su hogar, lideró el movimiento al comprar la tierra y las estructuras y donó su valiosa y amplia colección de arte. La Comisión de Parques Estatales de California (California State Parks Commission) adquirió propiedades adicionales en 1937, y en 1950 abrió el Museo del Palacio de Justicia (Courthouse Museum). Museo del Palacio de Justicia SHASTA, HOY EN DÍA Pasee por los lugares significativos de Shasta y deje que su imaginación reflexione sobre este pueblo que una vez estuvo a reventar. Las ruinas que están hoy fueron negocios que sirvieron a las personas del pueblo. Los senderos pasan por las escuelas de los años veinte y treinta del siglo XX, la cervecería y los nacimientos de manantiales que se usaron al

also available

National Parks
USFS NW