Wilder Ranch

State Park - California

Wilder Ranch State Park is a California State Park on the Pacific Ocean coast north of Santa Cruz, California. The park was formerly a dairy ranch, and many of the ranch buildings have been restored for use as a museum. There are no campgrounds; a day-use parking lot provides access to the museum. Dogs are prohibited on the trails, but many trails allow bikes and/or horses. The long trails and ocean views make the area a favorite of hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers. Public beaches continue to the north in Coast Dairies State Park.
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=549 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilder_Ranch_State_Park Wilder Ranch State Park is a California State Park on the Pacific Ocean coast north of Santa Cruz, California. The park was formerly a dairy ranch, and many of the ranch buildings have been restored for use as a museum. There are no campgrounds; a day-use parking lot provides access to the museum. Dogs are prohibited on the trails, but many trails allow bikes and/or horses. The long trails and ocean views make the area a favorite of hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers. Public beaches continue to the north in Coast Dairies State Park.
Our Mission Wilder Ranch State Park The mission of California State Parks is to provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high-quality outdoor recreation. Historic Wilder Ranch preserves a working dairy farm, an 1840 adobe, and a Victorian farmhouse on 7,000 coastal acres. California State Parks supports equal access. Prior to arrival, visitors with disabilities who need assistance should contact the park at (831) 423-9703. If you need this publication in an alternate format, contact interp@parks.ca.gov. CALIFORNIA STATE PARKS P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001 For information call: (800) 777-0369 (916) 653-6995, outside the U.S. 711, TTY relay service www.parks.ca.gov Wilder Ranch State Park 1401 Coast Road Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (831) 423-9703 or (831) 426-0505 © 2009 California State Parks (Rev. 2017) T he Santa Cruz coastline awaits discovery on Wilder Ranch State Park’s 7,000 acres. From the crest of Ben Lomond Mountain, the landscape rolls down ancient wave-cut terraces through the marsh lands of a nature preserve to the seashore. This region’s climate has a mild average of 50 to 70 degrees. Coastal weather is unpredictable. PARK HISTORY Native People Ohlone Indians made this watershed their homeland for centuries. They built conical homes from bent willow poles and traded local stones, shells, and bone tools with inland tribes. The Ohlone way of life changed radically after the 1776 expedition of Gaspar de Portolá. More Spanish explorers and Franciscan padres followed after Mission Santa Cruz was dedicated in 1791. The mission’s sphere of influence extended north to Año Nuevo Point and south to the Pajaro River valley near Watsonville. The Spanish grazed mission cattle on tribal grasslands and freely used the Ohlone food sources. Eventually, European diseases and the loss of their lands led to a dwindling Ohlone population. Today, Ohlone descendants practice their surviving cultural traditions. Rancho del Refugio From 1791 to 1835, all of the land west of Mission Santa Cruz was called Rancho Arroyo del Matadero (“ranch of the streambed slaughtering ground”), where mission cattle were butchered. In the 1830s, the land was left to the three daughters of Joaquin Castro and became known as Rancho del Refugio. Maria Candida Castro and her husband José Antonio Bolcoff became Rancho Refugio’s first titled owners of record. Bolcoff was a Russian sailor who had jumped ship to become a naturalized Mexican citizen; later he was arrested for smuggling. He built two adobes and one of the area’s first sawmills on the rancho. Bolcoff’s butter and cheese were wellknown in the Monterey area. The rancho lands were split before a large portion was acquired by Moses Meder in 1854. In the 1850s, Meder constructed a new home, now the front portion of the old farmhouse. He expanded dairy and farming activities and built a creamery, dairy barn, and other farm buildings. Meder’s butter sold for $1 a pound in San Francisco — expensive for the time. The Pelton water wheel drives the dairy and farm equipment. Historic dairy complex Partners Levi K. Baldwin and Deloss D. Wilder purchased 4,160 acres of the former rancho in 1871 and built a new creamery on the property in the mid-1870s. The partners amicably split the acreage between them in 1885; Wilder obtained the lower portion on Meder Creek. D.D. Wilder’s Creamery The Wilder family continued to work the land for five generations over nearly a century. In 1889, innovator D.D. Wilder harnessed water power to drive their equipment with a Pelton water wheel. A San Francisco newspaper credited Wilder with inventing “artificial sunrise” when he electrified his dairy. The dairy’s success enabled construction of a new Victorian farmhouse in 1897. The Wilder family ran the ranch until 1969, when property taxes exceeded farm income. In the 1970s, the land was proposed for a housing development, but Santa Cruz County citizens voted to protect the open space. In 1974 California State Parks acquired the property to preserve the land’s natural environment and cultural history. NATURAL RESOURCES Rainwater carves steep canyons through the marine terraces. Douglas-firs and coast redwoods dominate the drainages while coastal prairie covers much of the flatter terrain. Manzanitas, knobcone pines, and chaparral pea grow in drier, sandier inland soils. Grasslands and oak woodlands are home to deer, bobcats, coyotes, and mountain lions. Snowy plovers make their nests on Wilder Beach Natural Preserve, which is closed to public exploration. Harbor seals and sea otters gather where Wilder’s watersheds join the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Offshore, dolphins and migrating whales are often spotted. Programs and Recreation The Wilder Dairy Cultural Preserve area —a rodeo arena,
Nuestra Misión Parque Estatal Wilder Ranch La misión de California State Parks es proporcionar apoyo para la salud, la inspiración y la educación de los ciudadanos de California al ayudar a preservar la extraordinaria diversidad biológica del estado, proteger sus más valiosos recursos naturales y culturales, y crear oportunidades para la recreación al aire libre de alta calidad. El histórico Rancho Wilder preserva una granja lechera en funcionamiento, un edificación del año 1840 y una granja victoriana sobre los 7,000 California State Parks apoya la igualdad de acceso. Antes de llegar, los visitantes con discapacidades que necesiten asistencia deben comunicarse con el parque llamando al (831) 423-9703. Si necesita esta publicación en un formato alternativo, comuníquese con interp@parks.ca.gov. CALIFORNIA STATE PARKS P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001 Para obtener más información, llame al: (800) 777-0369 o (916) 653-6995, fuera de los EE. UU. o 711, servicio de teléfono de texto. www.parks.ca.gov Wilder Ranch State Park 1401 Old Coast Road Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (831) 423-9703 or (831) 426-0505 © 2009 California State Parks (Rev. 2015) acres costeros. L a línea costera de Santa Cruz aguarda ser descubierta en el Parque Estatal Rancho Wilder de 7,000 acres. Desde la cima del Monte Ben Lomond, el paisaje despliega antiguas terrazas de corte ondulado a través de las tierras pantanosas de la reserva natural que llegan hasta la costa. El clima de esta región tiene una temperatura agradable que va desde los 50° a los 70°F. El clima costero es impredecible, por lo que se recomienda usar mucho abrigo. HISTORIA DEL PARQUE Los indígenas Los indios ohlones hicieron de esta cuenca su hogar por siglos. Construían sus viviendas con troncos de sauces curvos e intercambiaban las herramientas de rocas, de caparazones o de huesos con las tribus continentales. El estilo de vida de los ohlones cambió radicalmente luego de la expedición de Gaspar de Portolá de 1776. Luego de la Misión de Santa Cruz de 1791 siguieron muchos más exploradores españoles y Padres franciscanos. El ámbito de influencia de la misión se extendió hasta el Año Nuevo Point y hasta el valle del Río del Pájaro cerca de Watsonville. Los españoles le daban de pastar al ganado de la misión en las praderas de las tribus, y utilizaban libremente las fuentes de alimento de los ohlones. Eventualmente, las enfermedades de los europeos y la pérdida de las tierras ocasionaron que la población ohlone se viera disminuida. Actualmente, los descendientes de los ohlone siguen practicando las tradiciones culturales que aún perduran. Rancho del Refugio Desde 1971 hasta 1835, todas las tierras del oeste de la Misión Santa Cruz se llamaban Rancho Arroyo del Matadero, lugar donde se sacrificaba el ganado de la misión. En 1830, las tierras se dejaron en manos de las tres hijas de Joaquín Castro y adoptaron el nombre de Rancho del Refugio. María Cándida Castro y su marido José Antonio Bolcoff se convirtieron en los primeros propietarios con escritura de dominio de que se tiene registro. Bolcoff era un marino ruso que se había embarcado como polizón con el objeto de nacionalizarse como ciudadano mexicano y que luego fue detenido por contrabando. Construyó dos edificaciones y uno de los primeros aserraderos del área en el rancho. La mantequilla y el queso Bolcoff fueron muy conocidos en el área de Monterey. Las tierras del rancho fueron divididas antes de que Moses Meder adquiriese una La turbina hidráulica Pelton hace funcionar el equipo de la lechería y de la granja. Complejo lácteo histórico gran parte de ellas en 1854. En 1850, Meder construyó una nueva casa, que actualmente constituye la parte frontal de la antigua granja. Expandió las actividades tamberas y de granja mediante la construcción de una cremería, una lechería y otros edificios. La mantequilla de Meder se comercializaba en San Francisco por $1 por libra  —  un precio elevado para ese momento. En el año 1871, los socios Levi K. Baldwin y Deloss D. Wilder compraron 4 160 acres del antiguo rancho y construyeron una nueva lechería en el lugar a mediados de la década de 1870. En el año 1885, los socios separaron las tierras amigablemente y Wilder obtuvo la porción más pequeña de Meder Creek. La lechería de D. D. Wilder La familia Wilder continuó trabajando la tierra durante cinco generaciones, casi durante un siglo entero. En el año 1889, el innovador D. D. Wilder aprovechó la hidroenergía utilizando una turbina hidráulica Pelton para hacer funcionar su equipo. Uno de los periódicos de San Francisco le atribuyó a Wilder el invento del “amanecer artificial” cuando electrificó lechería. El éxito de la lechería permitió la construcción de una nueva casa de granja en 1897. La familia Wilder administró el rancho hasta 1969 cuando los impuestos de la propiedad comenzaron a exceder los ingresos que generaba la granja. En 1970, se propuso el desarrollo de un complejo habitacional pero los ciudadanos del cond

also available

National Parks
USFS NW