Historic Governors' Mansion
Walking Tour of the Historic Governors' Mansion Neighborhood. Published by the Wyoming Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources.
|Wyoming Pocket Maps|
2121—2103 EVANS AVENUE 10 *To enjoy all of the Keefe Cottages, walk along this side of Evans Avenue north toward 22nd Street. Designed by J.P. Julien and built by M.P. Keefe, all of these homes were built between 1890 and 1894. J.P. Julien arrived in Cheyenne in 1867 and was the first architect in town. He designed the First Methodist Church in downtown Cheyenne. His most notable design was the gallows first used in the Tom Horn hanging and in hangings at the Rawlins Penitentiary. They were designed so that "no person or 'hangman' might feel responsible for the death of a fellow man." An Irish immigrant, M.P. Keefe arrived in Cheyenne in 1876 and began to influence the community through politics and leave his mark through buildings. He built the Knights of Pythias building, St. Mary's Catholic Church, the Idelman Mansion (now Schrader's Funeral home) and the Majestic Building. He also served as mayor for the city from 1903-1904. Local legend states that he built these homes for his seven daughters and most likely used brick from his own factory here in Cheyenne. *Walk back south to the corner of 21st Street and head towards the Mansion Cheyenne Daily Leader, July 1, 1890, Page 6 WYOMING STATE PARKS, HISTORIC SITES & TRAILS Around the Block Walking Tour of the Historic Governors’ Mansion 10 4 9 1 Neighborhood Now that you’ve explored the inside of the Historic Governors’ Mansion, let’s walk through the neighborhood and see what it looked like 100 years ago and learn about the people who lived here. 2 3 7 5 11 8 6 NO 11 301 EAST 21st STREET *Stop in front of the Historic Governors’ Mansion and turn south to look across the street In 1904 there were three houses across the street from the Mansion. All of them were bought by Irene Eaton in 1938 and torn down and replaced by this apartment complex. Ms. Eaton then sold the building in early 1940. Historic Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site is administered by the Division of State Parks, Historic Sties & Trails, Wyoming Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources. http://wyoparks.state.wy.us PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND CAREFUL Follow the squirrel tracks on your map and directions inside to each site. Match the number on the map to the same number next to its description. While exploring the neighborhood, please remain on the sidewalk and do not walk on other people’s property. Please do not take photos of these houses - people still live in them! Some of the sidewalks are uneven and cracked due to large tree roots growing, so please be careful. Most importantly—HAVE FUN! H RT HISTORY OF NEIGHBORHOOD 1 AND MANSION When the Historic Governors’ Mansion was built in 1904, several houses in this neighborhood were already here. This location was chosen because Wyoming citizens wanted the governor to be easily accessible to the people he represented. Many houses in this neighborhood have been preserved and brought back to their original appearance. Thanks to the efforts of concerned and active citizens, the houses around the Mansion have been saved for you to see today and for future generations to enjoy and explore. The Historic Governors’ Mansion sits in the Historic Rainsford District, named after George Rainsford. Mr. Rainsford was an architect who came to Cheyenne from New York to try horse ranching. He also designed homes for his friends, some of which are in this neighborhood. The houses in this neighborhood all share tree-lined streets, shaded sidewalks, and large front yards. 2115—2121 HOUSE AVENUE 2 These homes may have been moved from nearby Fort D.A. Russell (now F.E. Warren Air Force Base) to this location between 1890 and 1894. Andrew E. Roedel bought the properties in 1899 and they remained in the family as rental units until the late 1970s. A pharmacist by trade, Mr. Roedel and his family also started the Roedel Drug Store, which operated from 1899 to 2007. The Mansion has always had these houses as neighbors. *From this location, continue to the corner of House Ave and 22nd Street; stop and look both ways to cross House Avenue to the west c. 1960 — Courtesy of Wyoming State Archives, Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources 3 URBAN NATURE As you walk along this block enjoy the urban nature around you. Listen for the crows and pigeons; watch for the squirrels. Listen for the church bells and the train whistle, too! Yards or gardens in 1905 would have been similar to what you see today, though probably not as developed. As people moved here from the east, women brought seeds from their gardens with them to plant here. The stronger ones survived and blended with the natural flowers of the plains. The Cottonwood tree is Wyoming’s State Tree and is very abundant around town. The Plains Cottonwood can grow between 60 and 100 feet tall with a five or six foot diameter trunk and can live up to 100 years! Cottonwoods like a lot of water and are found mostly near rivers and streams, but if these trees are started in dry soil, they can live in this climate very well. They were popular to plant when Cheyenne was developing because Cottonwoods grew so quickly. *Stop at the corner of Warren Avenue and 22nd Street Courtesy of Wyoming State Archives, Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources CITY PARK 4 Look towards the brown State Museum sign and the block to the west. Both blocks were once the Cheyenne City Park and originally had criss-crossing sidewalks. Many governors, including Nellie Tayloe Ross, walked through this park on their way to and from work. The Park was a place for residents to enjoy and featured a bandstand, picnic areas, and flower gardens. Today the Supreme Court Building and the Barrett Building occupy these two blocks. But for 50 years it was a splendid place for citizens to enjoy the sunshine. *Stay on this side of Warren Avenue and head south. 2114 WARREN AVENUE 5 This house was built around 1890, the same year Wyoming became a state. Esther Hobart Morris, the first female Justice of the Peace, lived here from 1890 to 1902. A few years later, William Dubois, a prominent architect, moved in. Today it is a restaurant, the Morris House Bistro. *Continue south to the corner 8 221 EAST 21st STREET This house was built in 1892 for the Treacy Family by George East, a local architect, for $3,000. Mr. Treacy was a blacksmith with the Union Pacific Railroad. Around 1900 most of this neighborhood contained houses of this size. Today it is a law office. *Continue east by crossing House Avenue; look both ways first. Walk past the Historic Governors’ Mansion and stop in front of the house next to it Courtesy of www.maidenwyoming.net 6 2102 WARREN AVENUE This house was built around 1888. It was designed by George Rainsford for Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Parshall. Mr. Parshall was a hydrographer for the U.S. Geological Survey. He discovered and investigated the water system that brings water to Cheyenne. Mr. Parshall died in this house in 1919 when he was 70. Today it is owned by St. Mary’s Catholic Church. *Turn and head east along 21st Street; stop at the corner of House Avenue and 21st Street 7 222 EAST 21st STREET This house was built in 1922 by architect William Dubois for Mr. and Mrs. Bond. Mr. Bond served as secretary for Governor’s DeForest Richards and Fenimore Chatterton. In 1907, Mr. Bond was appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt as consul to Arabia and later to India. When Mr. and Mrs. Bond were ready to settle in Cheyenne, they had this house built to look like the houses in the Middle East that they liked. Today it is a law office. *Turn around and look south across the street 314 EAST 21st SREET 9 Dr. William W. Crook moved to Cheyenne in 1875 and became the first doctor in town. He built this house in 1885. Crook leased the house to William A. Richards in 1890 who lived there for 10 years. The last 5 years, when Richards was Governor, this house was the official governor’s residence. In 1907, P.S. Cook bought the house and he and his family moved in. His son, Dave, and Governor Brooks' son, Silas, became close friends. The house was restored in 1974 to the current condition seen today. *Walk to the corner of 21st Street and Evans Avenue Courtesy of Wyoming State Archives, Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources